Waffle House is known for serving up some of the best hash browns. They’re so popular that many people travel to their local Waffle House to taste these delicious potatoes. Luckily, if you want to make Waffle House hash browns at home, it’s not that difficult, and the results are sure to impress your family and friends.
Waffle House hash browns are the most delicious thing ever! You can make them from scratch and taste heaven in the comfort of your home.
A Quick Guide To Make Waffle House Hash Browns
- 4 cups shredded and peeled potatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup icy water
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a 2-quart mixing dish, combine the shredded potatoes. Pour in the salt, ice, and water to cover the potatoes. To incorporate the salt, stir well.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 2 hours, covered.
- Fill a colander halfway with wet potatoes. Drain fully after rinsing with cold water.
- Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Pour in just enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- When the skillet is heated, add the drained potatoes and distribute them evenly (do not press them down, or they will get mushy).
- Fry, without stirring, for 12-15 minutes, or until the bottom is crunchy. When they’re browned, carefully flip them over and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Cook the hash browns without covering them.
How To Make Waffle House Hash Browns On A Griddle?
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded hash brown potatoes (about 10 ounces)
- Place a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the hash browns to a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl; add the flour mixture and toss until evenly coated.
- Pour the potatoes onto the hot griddle (in batches if necessary) and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately with ketchup, if desired.
How To Make Waffle House Hash Browns With Frozen Hash Browns?
The recipe for making waffle house hash browns with frozen hash browns is as follows.
- 2 Frozen Hash Browns
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper (for taste)
- Cook frozen hash browns according to package directions.
- Cook them in the oven or on the stove top.
- Drain any excess water from the hash browns and set aside.
- Mix together milk and flour until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
- Pour mixture into a pan over medium heat and cook until thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Add eggs one at a time while stirring constantly until scrambled.
- Remove from heat when eggs are cooked through (about 1 minute).
- Add cheese and mix well until melted.
- Fold in hash browns until evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Serve immediately with syrup!
How Do You Rehydrate Waffle House Hash Browns?
Rehydrating Waffle House hash browns is easy. Just follow these steps.
- Get your pan ready by heating some vegetable oil in it at medium-high heat. You may also use a non-stick pan if you want to avoid the oil altogether.
- Add your frozen hash browns directly into the hot oil and stir them around until they are completely thawed out and warmed through.
- Stir occasionally while heating up until they become golden brown on both sides and slightly crispy on the edges, about five minutes total cooking time per side depending on how thick they are cut and how hot your stove gets.
- Remove from heat when done, drain off any excess oil, season with salt and pepper as desired (optional), then serve immediately!
What Does Waffle House Use For Hash Browns?
The Waffle House is known for its hash browns. They’re made with a secret recipe, and the restaurant won’t reveal exactly what ingredients go into them. But there are some theories about what makes up the popular side dish.
- The most obvious ingredient in hash browns is probably potatoes. This seems to be backed up by the fact that Waffle House uses frozen potatoes in their hash browns right on their website. And if you ask any customer at any Waffle House in the country, they’ll tell you that they taste like real potatoes.
- Some speculate that onions are also an important part of the secret recipe for Waffle House hash browns. They may add flavor, but they also add texture which would explain why Waffle House’s hash browns are so crispy and delicious.
- There’s no shortage of theories about what else goes into these fried potato wedges, but one thing is certain: They’re definitely seasoned somehow! It could be salt and pepper or some kind of spice blend (like cumin), but whatever it is, it tastes great!
How Does Waffle House Get Their Hash Browns Crispy?
Waffle House’s hash browns are different from other hash browns because of the way they’re cut. When Waffle House hash browns come out of the fryer, they’re still soft and flexible.
They’re then placed on one side of a potato chip slicer, which cuts them into uniform rectangles. The reason this technique works so well is that it leaves plenty of room for air to get in between each slice of potato, allowing for more surface area for crispiness.
Potato chips are often fried twice (once to cook and once to crisp), but at Waffle House, they only fry their potatoes once and that’s enough time to get them nice and crispy without drying them out too much or burning them on the outside.
What Is In Waffle House Loaded Hash Browns?
Waffle House is a chain of family-oriented restaurants that serve breakfast all day. The restaurant also serves a variety of other food including sandwiches, burgers, and steak. The company also sells its own line of merchandise, including t-shirts, hats and coffee mugs.
Waffle House hash browns have been served since the company’s inception in 1955 by founder Tom Forkner. The recipe for the hash browns was developed by his wife, Marilyn Forkner, who is credited with starting many of the recipes still in use today at the restaurant chain. Some of these recipes include country ham with red-eye gravy and grits, as well as country fried steak with eggs and grits.
The Waffle House hash browns recipe consists of shredded potatoes seasoned with salt and pepper before being cooked on an electric griddle until golden brown and crispy on both sides.
A mixture of shredded onions and bell peppers is added to the potatoes before they are cooked until they become soft enough to be folded over into waffles shaped like small squares or rectangles that are then topped with a cheese sauce made from milk, butter and flour before being served hot right off the griddle!
Can You Get Waffle House Hash Browns Frozen?
No, you cannot get Waffle House hash browns frozen. And you shouldn’t want to either.
Waffle House hash browns are made fresh every day, so they’re always hot and crispy. They’re also seasoned with a secret blend of spices that can only be found in the restaurant chain. If you want the real deal, you’ll have to skip the freezer aisle and head straight for your local Waffle House location instead.
But if you’re looking for a good substitute for the real thing, there are some options out there that will give you a similar taste without having to get up early on Sunday morning or make a special trip to your local fast-food joint for breakfast.
The best way to cook hash browns is in a waffle iron. This will give them a nice crispy outside with a soft interior. The size of the potato is not important, but the thickness should be consistent. You can add seasonings before cooking.